The sweet smell of the spices slowing dancing together in the heat of the water. The rhythmic beat of the drums being played in the yard. The sound of the children laughing as they danced around tapping tambourines on their legs. Every car slowing to honk and wave as they drive by. I sat in Mack's yard today as he hosted us to a seafood broil and let my senses take it all in. This is what I image the Lower Ninth Ward is supposed to feel like. A community that centers around each other.
To Mack, it was what he called a small token of thanks for all that we've done this week at The Village. But as I watched the neighbors follow their noses around the corner and grab a plate of shrimp and turkey neck, I knew it was much more. I only hope the students saw it too. With everything he does, Mack shows that it takes more than constructing a house to rebuild a town. He shows how you need to sit down and talk with people to find out what they are really experiencing and what they really need in order to help them. In the middle of a neighborhood that has been almost silenced by the storm, Mack brings the sound of life by bringing the people together. It's an amazing thing to watch.
So on the eve of our last night of service for the week, I'm keeping holding tightly to the sounds, smells and sights of this afternoon because they are what I want to think of when I think about making a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment