Thursday, January 14, 2010

Breathing Through the Irritation

So, I have a co-worker who drives me insane. And truthfully, I am a fairly patient person. I have worked and do work with a number of personalities. This is definitely part of the job, and though I don't think I am as good as I used to be, I definitely thing I have a knack for juggling the myriad of people I bump into along the way. But this person is really testing my nerves.

And let me be clear, when I first started in my position, I immediately realized that this person was going to be a challenge to work with, but I was ready to take on a challenge. Even the most difficult of people, I've typically been able to woo my through the relationship. With a little bit of listening and a willingness to understand their perspective, I usually can at least work well with others. But I'm beginning to think that this person is a major exception to the rule.

Today, like most days, I received a nasty email from him. In this email, he was quick to point out something that one of my staff members failed to do. This is his favorite past time. There's nothing he likes better than to call to attention anyone who he believes has not lived up to his expectations...and frankly, this is everyone. While my blood was still boiling from the first email, I received a second email. And upon receiving this second email, I officially lost all control of my patience.

It took everything in my power to walk away from the computer and take a number of deep breaths, rather than crawling through the computer screen and strangling my colleague. But, I did it. And I'm hoping that somehow in the process, I'm becoming a better professional...and maybe a better person.

No comments: