One year. 365 days. 15 races. 148.1 miles.
This is, by no means, a record of any sort. For many runners, this is a modest number. But of the many things I've learned over my year of running, it is not a competition. Running is between you, your body and the pavement. Winning is not about beating someone else; it's about finishing. And I finished. With my head held high, I ran across that last finish line knowing that I had won because I accomplished what I set out to do.
There were obstacles along the way. Hobbling through foot and hip pains. Leaving fun nights early to make it to the start line in time. Realizing I'm not going to make a PR. All of these things presented themselves along the way as moments to test me and to test if I was really learning anything from this challenge. I'm happy to report that each time, I proved to myself that I was, in fact, growing. I was stronger than the negative thoughts in my head. I was prouder than the inner voice that was eager to beat myself up for not training better or moving faster. I was more confident than the old worries that lingered when I realized my friends would be waiting at the finish line for a long time due to my modest pace. The old Briana may have succumbed to any of these. She may have given up along the way, justifying why it was okay to skip one month or stop the challenge all together. But for all the ways I am the same person I've always been, I am also a better version of that person.
I have aged into a person more comfortable in my own skin and more comfortable with my imperfections. I have even come to embrace most of these quirks and flaws because they are me. They are the potholes along the course of my life, things you learn to jump over or sidestep in order to make it to the finish line, but without them, the race wouldn't be as much fun. It'd be like running on a treadmill in an empty room. You're more than physically capable of getting those miles in, but who wants to run like that? I don't. I want to feel the wind on my face. I want to watch as I run by the scenery, taking in the sounds and the smells. I want to keep one eye on the ground so I know when to hop, skip or jump over the pebbles and potholes. I want to smile at the other runners as they pass by and offer encouragement to those who need a boost. I want to see new places and experience old places from a different perspective. I want to cross each finish line knowing that isn't the end of the journey. I want to wear sparkly skirts and customized shirts to show the world that I am capable of finding the humor in all things. I want to improve my pace, but always be proud of my time knowing that it was the best I could give on that day. And I want to do all of these things with my own two feet.
So, who's up for a run?

No comments:
Post a Comment