Friday, November 20, 2009

Wolves and vampires and pouting...Oh My!

Tonight, I saw the second Twilight movie. And though it was not an academy award winning film, it was still quite enjoyable. Let's be honest, if you go to a Twilight film expecting much more than a mindless cinematic adventure, then you have set yourself up for disappointment before you've even step foot in the theatre. But if you fully allow yourself to become immersed in a world of vampires and werewolves and cheesy romance, then you can set down a path to an enjoyable movie-going experience.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are definitely some matters of discontent for me about these movies. But mainly this is stemmed in my leftover bitterness at not having a teenage experience that included hot guys fawning over me despite my angst and whiney nature. Seriously?! What is so appealing about Bella Swan? I work with students like her everyday, and I find her apparent innate lovability the least realistic part of these stories (and mind you, she's surrounded by vampires and wolves!)

Alas, regardless of how likable I find this character, I am glad that her fictional existence provides me with the opportunity to retreat into teenage fantasy land where I can wish that I could be 17 and dealing with such a torrid love life. Instead, I'll remain 31 and dealing with a non-existent love life. And I might also pick up the Twilight books and do some rereading to pass the time until my vampire arrives.

No comments: