Saturday, November 06, 2010

Don't Stop Believin'

Today was one of those days when I head to bed exhausted, but knowing 100% that I am in the right profession.  Today was Central RAP 2010!  And maybe my heart swells with happiness and pride because I played two major roles at the conference.  First and foremost, I was there as the Member-at-Large for the Central region of WACUHO, which is the executive board position that I currently hold in the organization.  As the Central MAL, it was so great to see my region come together for a great day of presentations, spirit and camaraderie.  I watched endless rounds of "Ride the Pony" and heard countless chants of "We are proud of you" from one delegation to another.  As I looked around at the creative name tags, the inventive outfits and the cheerful SWAG, I was so proud to be a part of this region where the student leaders cared so much about coming together for a day of fun and learning.

My other role, which of course is closest to my heart, was as a staff member from LMU.  In the five years that I've been at LMU, our delegations have really struggled at Central RAP.  There was almost a "too cool" mentality that definitely wasn't rooted in the fact that our students feel like they are too cool, but more in that they just aren't used to the culture.  Last year, when we chose to host Central RAP, one of the major reasons was to expose a larger number of our student staff members to the conference so that they could really begin to understand what it was all about.  And as I watched their faces of shock and disbelief (mixed in with exhaustion from set up and planning), I wondered if it was going to work.  So this year, when I knew I had at least one student who got it and was interested in taking the lead on the delegation, I felt sure that we could get at least 10 students to go.  But what actually happened far exceeded my expectations and hopes.

This year, with Schultzy at the helm of leading his peers and Marci as the delegation advisor, LMU had a delegation of 17 strong.  And while they were one of the smallest delegations there, that didn't stop them from being one of the mightiest.  To watch them cheer, chant, woo and mingle, I was so proud that they were there, putting themselves out there and showing their Lion pride.  And as I watched their video, it made me smile bigger and brighter each time.  I was so overwhelmed with pride for them, that it was hard to contain myself.  As I watched their eyes twinkle and their anticipation build throughout the day, I wanted to bottle them all up so show themselves when they were having a bad day.  And at the end of the day, as I watched them leap out of their seats as they won for best video and for spirit stick, it was hard to hold back tears.  My tears were for joy.  And not only because I was proud to be a Lion, but because I was proud that THEY did this.  The students.  One their own account.  Not because someone was making them, but because it came from within.

And after a four hour drive back to LA, as I lay here and think about this day, the fact that I still feel on cloud nine reminds me that this is exactly where I am supposed to be.

No comments: